February 17, 2012
The title says it all. The much anticipated ColdFusion 10 (Zeus) has entered public beta and is available for download from Adobe Labs.
ColdFusion 10 represents a leap forward for ColdFusion with a nice combination of updated infrastructure and libraries as well as lots and lots of improvements to existing features. While they were at it the engineering team went ahead and added a slew of new features and language enhancements as well. Here's a small sampling of what's new:
- Apache Tomcat replaces JRun - I was almost tempted to put a blink tag here.
- Overhauled scheduler - Quartz scheduler under the hood. Lots and lots of new functionality.
- Security - Adobe implemented the OWASP ESAPI library under the covers and it's now pervasive throughout ColdFusion.
- AXIS2 upgrade - Much improved support for SOAP web services.
- RESTful web services
- HTML5 WebSockets
- HTML5 Charting
- ORM Search
- Caching updates (updated ehcache, caching functions, query & login cache moved to ehcache).
- Hotfix Updater - Keeping up with and installing hotfixes and updates has never been so easy.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. For a really nice overview of what's new from engineering team member Sagar Ganatra, check out his site.